Research & Development
The objectives of research and development at HIAST can be defined as follows :
• Contribute to the development of the technical environment locally and at the level of the region.
• Developing the knowledge of researchers and faculty members at HIAST, and keeping them in touch with the scientific and technical development in the world. Maintaining the scientific level of HIAST and enhancing its role in the scientific research in the country.
• Contribute to stimulating the local industry, anticipating its needs, and helping it to introduce new technologies into its business.
Engineering development work
It takes the form of engineering projects for the benefit of governmental institutions and private sector companies.
Among these projects:
• Designing administrative and financial software for public institutions and banks.
• Designing software to assist in decision-making.
• Establishing information networks.
• Improving the performance of production lines in some manufacturing institutions.
• Developing teaching laboratory equipment in various fields.
They take the form of engineering projects of a research nature and a high scientific level, which are usually initiated at the initiative of the Institute and with internal funding, or within the scope of scientific cooperation relations that link HIAST with external parties such as European cooperation programs and others.
Among these projects:
1. Computer processing projects for the Arabic language, including:
- Recognizing the Arabic and Latin letters.
- Automatic correction based on Arabic grammar.
- Synthesis and analysis of speech in the Arabic language.
2. Projects in renewable energies, including:
- Building the solar and wind atlas of the Syrian Arab Republic.
- Analytical and comparative studies of the different properties of materials and mechanical structures.
- Evaluating the performance of prototypes dedicated to investing solar energy.
3. Projects related to sensors and measuring devices, including:
- Climate sensors.
- Mechanical sensors.
- Seismic monitoring.
4. Projects related to the synthesis of materials and the study of their properties: magnetic materials, insulation and reflection.